HomeCat Health IssuesMyth of the Month – Poinsettia Poisoning

We’ve all heard it, “Poinsettias are toxic to pets.” 

In fact, poinsettias are not on the American Veterinary Medical Association’s list of plants that are poisonous to dogs and cats.  The sap can be irritating to the mouth or digestive tract, but exposure should not be fatal.  Because the plant is so distasteful, it’s highly unlikely that your pet would ingest the large volume necessary to cause a significant problem.  It’s a good idea to keep them out of reach to avoid discomfort or stomach upset, but don’t consider poinsettias dangerous.

Share on Facebook

Comments are closed.